Thursday, September 22, 2005

I just remembered that we copied a bunch of CDs onto the computer a while back, and there are quite a few I haven't yet burned or even really listened to; so the past couple days I've been treating myself to some new music--Cowboy Junkies, Gillian Welch, and Over the Rhine. While listening to OTR's album "Films For Radio", I discovered that one of the songs on it was written by Dido--what a great combo! It's a neat song, too--click here and scroll down one song to read the lyrics. Music really fascinates me, as well as the ability of musicians to express themselves so perfectly. Though I'm by no means a superior writer, I get prose--I know more or less how it works, and how to produce it. But poetry and music are whole other worlds! I love the little vignettes of life that can be displayed in a good poem or song and illustrated even further by the one who reads or sings, speaking to one's soul so much more poignantly than prose.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Hi Katie--Are you a fan of Joan BAez? not later Jon Baez, when she was taking her cues from damned ignorant hippies and that pedantic preachy twerp she dated for a while, but early Joan Baez, when she sang American, English, and Irish folk songs? I love the ground whereon she stands. I recommend Joan Baez Volumes One and two, Joan Baez in Concert one and two, and Very Early joan. Also, her spanish album, Gracias a la Vida, is quite beautiful.....I also have a favorite Gillian Wlech song, which she sings with some dude, WInd and Rain. It's one of those heartbreakingly beautiful songs on the subject of envy, unrequited love, and murder: a guy ends up fashioning a ukelele or fiddle or something out of the bones of this girl who died for the love of him, of course.....