Friday, January 12, 2007

I started a year-in-review post on our computer at home, but since I'm now at the library I'll skip ahead and post my haphazard list of Books to Read in 2007. I'm rarely, of course, at a loss for something to read, but I found it was helpful last year to have a goal to work towards--it kept me from reading nothing but junk and introduced me to some wonderful works I might not otherwise have read. Over the course of the year the list did change somewhat, and I'm sure the same will happen this year. Here, however, are my tentative and random goals for 2007:

Shakespeare--the plays I never read or may as well not have read
Rousseau--Emile
Stendhal--The Charterhouse of Parma
Balzac--Pere Goriot and others
Emerson--essays
Proust--as much of Remembrance of Things Past as possible
Milton--Paradise Lost
Sigrid Undset--Kristin Lavransdatter
Dickens--Nicholas Nickleby
Rudyard Kipling--Kim
Katherine Mansfield--Journal

I'll probably also keep working on the Modern Library list of 20th century best novels--I did quite well on it last year, and will post about that soon.

1 comment:

Voracious Reader said...

Sigrid Undset--Kristin Lavransdatter...spectacular.